Tag Archives: Pacific Crest Trail Association

Pacific Crest Trail Association – Preserving, Protecting and Promoting


Pacific Crest Trail Association – Preserving, Protecting and Promoting.


Halfmile’s PCT Maps for 2014 are now online | Pacific Crest Trail Association

Halfmile’s PCT Maps for 2014 are now online | Pacific Crest Trail Association.


Two critical things to know about the 2014 fire season | Pacific Crest Trail Association

Two critical things to know about the 2014 fire season | Pacific Crest Trail Association.


PCT transportation | Pacific Crest Trail Association


Need a ride to and from the trail, click on the PCTA logo above or link below for more information.

PCT transportation | Pacific Crest Trail Association.


New Program to Benefit Thru-hikers and the PCTA » Pacific Crest Trail Association


New Program to Benefit Thru-hikers and the PCTA » Pacific Crest Trail Association.


Forest Service upholds PCT mountain biking closure » Pacific Crest Trail Association

The U.S. Forest Service has upheld its 1988 order closing the Pacific Crest Trail to mountain biking. In a Nov. 25 letter to the Pacific Crest Trail Association, Regional Forester Randy Moore states that the order is consistent with legislation, regulations, directives, the recommendations of the PCT Advisory Council and the PCT Comprehensive Management Plan.

“In order to continue to protect the trail as a resource and to provide a safe and unique recreation experience for the primary users – hikers and equestrians – the continuance of Regional Order 88-4 is needed,” Moore wrote.

Meanwhile, a national partnership of trail leaders, recreation advocates and federal land managers has opened a dialogue on how, when and where mountain bike use fits into the National Trails System.

PCTA continues to believe that the PCT is best used and protected as a resource for hikers and horseback riders. That said, PCTA believes mountain bikes are an integral part of the National Trails System. PCTA supports quality recreational experiences for bikers on public land and we are committed to working with cycling groups to ensure that they have equal opportunity to develop long-distance riding opportunities.

We look forward to participating in the national dialogue in 2014.

Forest Service upholds PCT mountain biking closure » Pacific Crest Trail Association.


Resupply strategy | Pacific Crest Trail Association

Resupply strategy

This page is about resupply strategy, for information about food choices, please visit our page on trail food.

meatandcheesesandwich-500x375Organizing months worth of food is complex. It is also expensive to mail. There are only a few places on the trail that lack good resupply stores. Generally, you can buy food every 4-10 days and save the effort and cost of resupply boxes. We recommend spending your money in the communities along the trail, shipping to a small number of remote locations and keeping it simple.

Resupply – what and how to eat – is full of highly personal decisions. We’ve outlined some commonly used strategies. Take what works for you.

Read More via Resupply strategy | Pacific Crest Trail Association.


PCT speed record is shattered twice | Pacific Crest Trail Association

Josh GarrettIn remarkable feats of endurance hiking, Josh Garrett and Heather “Anish” Anderson are reported to have broken the overall Pacific Crest Trail speed record this week. They hiked separately, with Heather finishing first with a time of 60 days and 17 hours and 12 minutes. Josh finished the next day with a time of 59 days and 8 hours and 14 minutes*. We’re in awe of their achievements and applaud them both.

The previous speed record of 64 days, 11 hours and 19 minutes was set by famed thru-hiker Scott Williamson in 2011.

Heather AndersonHeather left the southern border June 8 at 6:30 a.m. and reached Canada Wednesday at 11:42 p.m. She averaged nearly 44 miles per day. She previously hiked the Pacific Crest Trail in 2005.

Josh left the southern terminus June 10 at noon and reached the northern terminus on Thursday at 8:14 p.m. He averaged nearly 45 miles per day. He previously hiked the PCT in 2009.

Josh hiked in support of vegan lifestyle choices, an animal cruelty-free world and the charity Mercy for Animals. “I’m vegan because I love animals, and they suffer so needlessly on factory farms and slaughterhouses, when a vegan diet provides everything we need for good health, strength, and endurance,” he said. “As much as I would have enjoyed taking my time on this hike, I wanted to be a good example and make a point.”

Heather describes her younger years as marked by insecurity: “I hated my body and myself.” She graduated high school weighing 200 pounds, only to lose the weight and find purpose when she discovered hiking. “I met something that would forever change my life: a trail. I was enthralled. Trails took me on the adventures I craved and to beautiful, wondrous, wild places. I lost my heart and soul…and eventually 70 lbs…to the trails.”

PCTA does not officially validate, nor verify, records. They’re fraught with arguable points and are difficult to authenticate. However, we know an amazing feat when we see one. On behalf of the entire trail community, we applaud Josh and Heather and all the others who have and will continue to push themselves to new heights on our very special trail.

* Friday afternoon, Josh provided us with a corrected time of 59 days and 8 hours and 14 minutes (he reached northern monument at 8:14 p.m.) instead of what was previously reported.

PCT speed record is shattered twice | Pacific Crest Trail Association.


Permits | Pacific Crest Trail Association

PCT Long Distance Permits

If you plan on hiking or horseback riding 500 or more continuous miles along the PCT, in a single trip, the Pacific Crest Trail Association can issue you a PCT Long Distance Permit. It is free. The PCTA issues permits with the authorization of federal land management agencies to simplify your planning and improve service and trail information.

Long Distance Permits are for overnight use on the PCT corridor. Users wishing to travel off the PCT corridor must obtain separate permits as necessary. You may travel off the PCT to nearby trailheads for reasons of resupply and reaching or departing the Trail. This travel must be done on the most direct trail between the PCT and the trailhead. Long distance permits do not allow for camping off the PCT corridor, even while traveling to and from trailheads.

Long distance travelers are likely to visit places that require extra fees. Campgrounds, park entrances and other special use fees are not covered by this permit. Please pay the collecting agency directly. Travelers holding Long Distance Permits must be flexible if the campsite they are occupying is already reserved by another group. No permits will be issued for trips starting at Whitney Portal.

Please completely fill out your permit application, with start and end locations being actual locations on the PCT. For instance, Seattle is not on the PCT and we cannot issue a permit for it. Similarly, “Sequoia National Park” is not specific enough of a start location. Actual dates must be included as well. It takes a minimum of two to three weeks to receive your permit.*

Requests for Long Distance Permits for an upcoming hiking/riding season will be processed starting February 1st of the same year. Permits should be mailed or faxed and will be returned to you by mail. Apply for a Long Distance Permit.

Southbound travel from Canada: Because of  U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulations, no permits will be issued originating in Manning Provincial Park, BC, Canada. People wishing to start at the northern terminus will be issued a permit for the US/Canada border and should reach it from a southern trailhead, typically Harts Pass. Travel north to the international border and then back south to your destination. Please read our page on entering the U.S. from Canada via the PCT.

Group size: Long Distance Permits are valid only for the individual who’s name appears on the permit. In other words, one person per permit.

Minimum age: Will you be under 18 at the start of your trip? You’ll need to include a written and signed letter of consent from your parent or guardian. The letter must state the dates and location of your proposed trip. You must carry this letter at all times while you’re on the PCT. Permit applications for unaccompanied minors under 16 years old will be reviewed by the U.S. Forest Service.

Animals: National Parks, State Parks and Wilderness Areas have varied restrictions on pets and pack goats. These animals are not authorized through this Long Distance Permit.  Llamas also have special restrictions. Write info@pcta.org for more information.

* Sorry, but we do not expedite permits. Please plan ahead and prepare.

Shorter distance permits

If you are embarking on a shorter trip, you can obtain a permit from the agency governing the trailhead from which your PCT trip originates. For example, if you plan to travel from Echo Lake to Castle Crags State Park, you would need to contact the Eldorado National Forest since your trip would begin in that forest. They would issue a permit good for your entire trip. Information on who to contact for a specific section of trail can be found online, or in the Wilderness Press PCT guidebooks. High Sierra hikers can find further information on our John Muir Trail permit page.

Note that much of the PCT does not require wilderness permits! This is the case in many National Forests. Typically, permits are easy to obtain in Oregon and Washington. Self-issue permit boxes are located at wilderness boundaries. Do your research beforehand!

Mt. Whitney Zone permit

There is a $15-per-person fee to enter the Whitney Zone in Inyo National Forest. The Whitney Zone stretches from the summit eastward. If you plan to visit Whitney Portal or Lone Pine, CA from the summit of Mount Whitney, you’ll need to pay the Mt. Whitney fee. Holders of the Whitney Zone Permit should re-enter the wilderness within 48 hours of when they exit to resupply. No permits will be issued for trips originating from Whitney Portal.

For additional information regarding the reservation requirements contact the Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permit Reservation Office, 351 Pacu Lane, Ste 200, Bishop, CA  93514 or (760) 873-2483. Permit information can also be found at www.fs.usda.gov/inyo.

Canada permit

Hikers and equestrians who plan on entering Canada via the PCT must obtain permission from the Canada Border Services Agency.  Carry your approved  “Application for Entry into Canada via the Pacific Crest Trail” form with you at all times while in Canada.

Please fill out the application form completely. No sooner than three months before the start of your trip, print the application, sign and submit it to the address on the form. It is preferred that you type your application with the online fillable form. Otherwise, please print clearly in block letters.

Read up on the various additional requirements you must follow when entering Canada and returning to the United States.  When you are ready, submit the Application for Entry into Canada permit.

Questions? Call the Canada Border Services Agency at 1-866-496-3987,  Press “0”, then ask for the Pacific Crest Trail Coordinator.

Please note that there is currently no legal way to enter the U.S. from Canada (Manning Park) on the PCT.

California fire permits

You must have a California Campfire Permit to use a stove, lantern, or campfire outside a developed campground or recreation area. The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect. Campfires are not allowed and are not appropriate on much of the PCT. Please read our page on fire information for details.

The PCTA strongly urges all hikers using the California backcountry to obtain a California fire permit. They are free and valid for one calendar year. These permits should be acquired before the start of your hike or ride. Permits can be obtained at any California U.S. Forest Service, BLM, or California Division of Forestry office. Ranger Stations and Visitor’s Centers are convenient places to obtain them in person, or you may take a simple quiz and print one off the internet.

Commercial filming and photography

If you are creating photographs or videos with the purpose of generating income, you may need a special permit. Please visit the websites below for information. To obtain these permits, or find answers to your questions about special use permits, we recommend asking the agencies directly.

International visitors and U.S. visas

PCTA is not an official source for information about visas. We recommend reading travel.state.gov/visa and that you consult a visa adviser. Long distance hikers and riders may find useful information on our page about B-2 visas.

Permits | Pacific Crest Trail Association.